Wallpapering can sometimes be scary, especially when you are a beginner. Nonetheless, it shouldn’t be if you keep a few tips in mind before you begin. Here is an overview of some of quick wallpaper tips that you can use to make your wallpaper project easier:
• Lining Paper: Consider putting a medium weight lining paper on your wall before hanging your wallpaper. A lining paper helps the paste (that you use in hanging the wallpaper) to dry fast and prevents your wallpaper from creasing or stretching.
• Concealing Misalignment: Apply an inch of white paint along the top of the wall before you wallpaper over dark paint or wallpaper. This will ensure that any misalignment isn’t noticeable.
• Gather the All Tools before You Begin Wallpapering: Before you begin hanging your wallpaper, ensure that you have all the needed tools. These include but not limited to: wallpaper brush, scissors, wet sponge, bucket of water, utility knife, lukewarm water, carpenter level, and steam roller.
• Covering your pasting Table: Cover your pasting table with plastic tablecloth. Never use newspapers to cover the pasting table. A wet newspaper might produce ink that might stain your wallpaper.
• You Need A Plumb Line: Some house walls are not in perfect right angles. As such, to ensure that your wallpaper is perfectly aligned and straight, you need a plumb line to measure and ensure perfect alignment of your wall paper.
• Wallpapering Around Power Switches: Ensure that you’ve turned off power when you are wallpapering around power switches and receptacles. You can then paper over them and later make a diagonal slit or cut from the corners of the switches/receptacles.
• Use A Sharp Trimming Knife: Ensure that your utility knife is sharp before you begin trimming. Dull knives will tear your wallpaper and could result into uneven or damaged wallpaper.
• Placing a Border: If you plan to hang a border on top of the wallpaper, you will need a special paste. You should also allow the wallpaper to dry for at 24-48 hours before you hang the border.
Direct Interiors is an informative blog dedicated to house and home solutions. Follow us for more articles on wallpaper tips and ideas for your home.